3.29.2010

good design

"Good design has nothing to do with opinion and 'taste'. From a manufacturer's perspective, a good designs is a design that sells profitably....you need to create emotional distance from your idea of good taste on everyone else, because many people have lousy taste and will never change." The Entrepreneur's Guide to Sewn Product Manufacturing, Kathleen Fasanella

The past week has been spent mainly sketching and thinking up new designs for the next collection. i'm working on Spring Summer 2011 now - can you believe it? Ever since switching to marketing one season ahead, the entire work calendar has been pushed forward as well. I'm still trying to adjust. In fact I had to skip SS10 to catch up.

I need to get everything for SS11 ready by September, which means from now till then I'll be busy doing everything from conceptualization, design, sampling, photo shoots to preparing collateral e.g. catalogs, buyer's packs etc. All this on top of the day to day i.e. processing orders & deliveries.

I struggled a little initially trying to figure out the broad concept/direction for the new collection. I'm constantly trying to second-guess - hmmm, I think customers/buyers won't like such a style - as I'm sketching. It really kills the process because the design gets dumped before it even has time to evolve. Like, I want to try something I think is cool and different but then I end up trashing it because I don't think it'll have enough commercial appeal. Nursing wear is tricky in particular - you can't really be terribly adventurous because the typical customer is usually pretty conscious of their weight/appearance at that point and the styles can't be too radical.

Anyway, I've come to a stage where I'm happy with the direction I'm going from a design angle, and also think the styles will be marketable. The stuff needs to sell for the business to survive, but I don't really want to churn out the same old styles either. It's a critical balance, and not easy to arrive at.

The statement at the beginning is oh so true and something I tell myself to remember.

3 comments:

The Fashion Bible said...

Yes the statement is very true indeed. I was visiting a gf in Hong Kong who owns her own label too and she started out idealistic, hoping to share her beautiful dresses with the masses only to be sorely disappointed and realized that the masses do not necessarily appreciate the same beautiful things we love. She have since come to learn to design a range of "practical" clothes for the masses and to balance it with a few pieces for dreamers like us. It is not the most ideal situation but she pointed out that even "Dreamers need to eat". Good luck with your collection!

Trudy Ta said...

Hi while browsing fashion on the internet (my most favorite hobby) I stumbled upon your blog and then came to know about your two brands of apparels - one word: Admirable!. I have been working in advertising and merchandising line, but now I decided that my career should be fashion since that was, is, and will be forever the thing I most love to do. I could help you with sourcing material/production from Vietnam since I am a Vietnamese working in Singapore.I really like the concept of nursing clothing line like dotastudio and would love to work for your company. I have sent my resume to dorothy@dotestudio.com and if you think there are areas that I could contribute (such as online advertising and merchandising)please drop me an email for an interview or just a little chat. I am sure I wont let you down. Best Regards, Trudy Ta. (My email is trudy.ta.ntu at gmail.com)

California Metal Supply said...

Thanks for this publish. I find it hard to track down good answers out there when it comes to this subject matter. Thanks for the review!