9.23.2008

emmys fashion

I accidentally caught snippets of the emmys red carpet - happened to turn the telly on while taking care of ellie. Only caught bits here and there but from what I saw, here is my take:

Favs

Heidi Klum in Armani Prive

I think this must be my absolute favourite of the night because it's so different from the typical look worn on the red carpet - it's modern and dramatic but not in a fluffy ballgown way. I love grey, I love one shouldered, I love capes - very little for me not to like.

heidi_klum2

Brooke Shields in Badgley Mischka

I'm not a fan of Brooke Shields, fuschia or Badgley Mischka, but somehow this dress works for me. I think it's the soft ruffles and train - although I don't like the other dress by the same designer (see below).

brooke_shields

Marcia Cross in Elie Saab Haute Couture

I think that the lace flower overlay could be a little more subtle, but overall this is such a beautiful, dreamy look. And tulle - how can one not love anything tulle! I have yet to fall in love with an Elie Saab dress but in this case, love the unexpected bronze-y, rose gold colour that just works so well with her red hair and fair skin. I also like that it's not full length, and still looks right for this event. I almost feel as if a sweeping gown would be a little too much for the Emmys - it seems much more Academy Awards appropriate. (Again, don't like so much the other dress by this designer - below)

marcia_cross

Cynthia Nixon in Calvin Klein

Ooh another favourite of mine - love the seafoam colour and that it's simple but not boring. And I love Cynthia Nixon - how can I not since she's part of SATC? (Thought it looked better on TV than here though)

cynthia_nixon

The ones I didn't like so much (although they all made the Best Dressed Lists):

Eva Longoria in Marchesa

I think she can look so much better than this. Although the fashion experts were raving about the giant bow on her dress, declaring it "flapper-esque" - it's just not doing it for me. Something about her hairdo and makeup isn't helping either (is it me or does her face look different?). I'm not a big fan of her red carpet looks - she has a tendency to wear stuff that I find overly fussy and shiny.

eva_longoria

Evangeline Lilly in Elie Saab

Again, another too-shiny and fussy look. I didn't see this on TV though, so maybe it looks better on TV then in the photo (though I'm not overly optimistic)?

evangeline_lily

Hayden Panettiere in Badgley Mischka

There's nothing really bad about this dress except that I think it looks a little blah. Also, I think she could have gone for something a little more age appropriate - maybe a pop of colour or a shorter, more fun and flirty dress. The make up and hairdo were aging too. Watching her on the red carpet, she just looked really uncomfortable the entire time.

hayden

I haven't seen the worst dressed lists yet, so there may be a part two to this. I'm looking forward to catching the Fashion Police episode of the Emmys on E! tomorrow. Oh, and all this while, I have yet to catch the actual Emmys!

1 comment:

Saz said...

actually i really like the sunny yellow ones worn by Teri Hatcher and Mariska Hargitay. And DEFINITELY Marcia Cross's dress!