9.02.2007

Wantons

Inspired to cook something beyond my usual chicken or pork dish, I decided to make wantons for dinner last Friday. Really easy, only time consuming bit was the wrapping of the little parcels.

IMG_5032

IMG_5033

IMG_5035

=============================================

Recipe

Ingredients:
+ 40–45 pieces wanton wrappers (1 pack from the supermarket, mine were square)
+ Enough oil for deep-frying

Filling:
+ 200g Minced pork
+ 6 - 8 mushrooms, soaked and diced (make sure to wring them out, as the filling needs to be quite dry)
+ 6 - 8 water chestnuts, peeled and chopped finely
+ 3 shallots, peeled and chopped finely
You can also add prawns - I didn't because I don't like them.

Seasoning:
+ Light soy sauce
+ Oyster sauce
+ Salt & pepper
+ Sugar
+ Sesame oil
+ Corn flour

Method:
+ Place approx. half a teaspoon of the filling in the centre of each wanton wrapper. I know it's tempting to put more, but if the wanton is overstuffed, you won't be able to seal it properly.
+ Seal the edges of each wrapper with a bit of water.
+ Fold into a triangle. You can leave it like this, but I like to bring up 2 of the corners to meet the 3rd.
+ Pinch to seal. Repeat until all wrappers are done.

+ Heat enough oil in a wok until just hot.
+ Put in wanton in batches and deep-fry until golden brown in colour.
+ Remove and drain on paper towels.
+ Serve the wantons with mayonnaise.

2 comments:

Saggs said...

My goodness, these do look yum! If they weren't fried I might try 'em! Do you think I can bake wantons? :P

dot said...

hmm, not sure about baking, but you could definitely put them in soup!! try, try - easy peasy...and the ingredients should be easy to find too. add carrots if you want a healthier option.