9.13.2007

8.4

That's the scale of the quake that hit the coast just off Sumatra yesterday at Singapore local time 7.10pm.

I was on the phone with a friend, engrossed in my chat and blissfully unaware that my apartment building was swaying.

I did not notice Kisu shouting for me - it was only when his worried face popped up in the kitchen (where I was) that I hung up.

He said the building was shaking. I wasn't convinced initially and even pooh-poohed the idea. But then as I stood still, I felt it.

When it didn't stop after a couple of seconds, I started panicking and my first thought was to evacuate the building. But instead, he quickly shooed me under the table, which is what you're supposed to do in the event of a quake in order to avoid getting hit on the head by falling objects.

We waited, while I vacillated between "This is crazy, you can't die from an earthquake in Singapore!" and "This can't be how my life ends!" I couldn't judge how bad it was from Kisu's expression (he's experienced earthquakes before) and I did not ask him. I wasn't sure if I wanted to know the answer.

Finally, finally it stopped. We crawled out from our little space and turned on the TV to the news.

30 seconds later we heard it: Tsunami alerts had gone out - confirming the quake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! How frightening! Oh dear oh dear...

Saggs

dot said...

no worries! we have lots of govt reassurances that we are all safe!