On me couch
Orange Flannel on the flip side
Closeup of the patchwork square
I just finished this afternoon. Spent a lot of time pausing the show - when I actually had to sew, and resuming - when I needed to pin or iron seams! It's a patchwork baby blanket for Selena's baby due in October. I'm posting it before I give it to her because she tells me that she doesn't read my blog so it should still be a surprise for her!
The patchwork is made from various scraps from her grandma's vintage fabric collection. Sel donated a bunch to me some time back to make bags and such. Lazy me never actually did anything with them - until 3 days ago where I thought it might make a meaningful keepsake for her. It's got quilt batting in between, and a flannel backing so it's cozy for baby.
My first time (not counting some really ugly patchwork thing I did in Home Econs aeons ago) doing patchwork with different sized fabric pieces, and also attempting "quilting". I drafted the pattern on an Excel grid before executing the pattern. Also kept measuring to make sure that I had the right dimensions, and the right number of pieces. With this sort of stuff, it's just too easy to make some kind of mistake - I had to grit my teeth and rip off a couple seams along the way like at 1 in the morning.
I didn't do full blown quilting -I don't think I could have handled that - but I did sew 2 square stitch lines joining the patchwork and the batting so that the batting wouldn't shift. I used the lightest quilt batting that I found at Golden Dragon - only makes sense in this hot weather of ours; and also it made the sewing much easier. There was very little bunching (what I would expect if the batting is thick) and I didn't have to use any special footers or equipment.
I'm going to be making another one soon, for my baby - that's what the red piggy fabric is for :) I don't know if I will end up using it; I'm meaning for it to be more of a keepsake; a memento of her birth.