8.06.2007

I made this "watching" Full House...

On me couch

baby blankie 2

Orange Flannel on the flip side

baby blankie 1

Closeup of the patchwork square

baby blankie closeup

baby blankie 3

I just finished this afternoon. Spent a lot of time pausing the show - when I actually had to sew, and resuming - when I needed to pin or iron seams! It's a patchwork baby blanket for Selena's baby due in October. I'm posting it before I give it to her because she tells me that she doesn't read my blog so it should still be a surprise for her!

The patchwork is made from various scraps from her grandma's vintage fabric collection. Sel donated a bunch to me some time back to make bags and such. Lazy me never actually did anything with them - until 3 days ago where I thought it might make a meaningful keepsake for her. It's got quilt batting in between, and a flannel backing so it's cozy for baby.

My first time (not counting some really ugly patchwork thing I did in Home Econs aeons ago) doing patchwork with different sized fabric pieces, and also attempting "quilting". I drafted the pattern on an Excel grid before executing the pattern. Also kept measuring to make sure that I had the right dimensions, and the right number of pieces. With this sort of stuff, it's just too easy to make some kind of mistake - I had to grit my teeth and rip off a couple seams along the way like at 1 in the morning.

I didn't do full blown quilting -I don't think I could have handled that - but I did sew 2 square stitch lines joining the patchwork and the batting so that the batting wouldn't shift. I used the lightest quilt batting that I found at Golden Dragon - only makes sense in this hot weather of ours; and also it made the sewing much easier. There was very little bunching (what I would expect if the batting is thick) and I didn't have to use any special footers or equipment.

I'm going to be making another one soon, for my baby - that's what the red piggy fabric is for :) I don't know if I will end up using it; I'm meaning for it to be more of a keepsake; a memento of her birth.

6 comments:

Alicia said...

This is beeoooteeful!

How It started? said...

Hi, get to know about you thru' Career Blueprint, and since then, had been following up reading your blog..... :)

This is really beautiful, & i love the colours..... so bright & cheerful! :)

Saggs said...

It's gorgeous! Selena's baby is sooo lucky! And baby Sung, too, of course :)

CHIO said...

It's so beautiful! Am sure Selena (and baby!) will love it! =) Separately, can't wait for your new Dotted Line collection! So exciting! =)

@pple said...

Where can I get to buy the orange flannel? I like the colour so much want to do for my friend's baby. =)

dot said...

hi @pple, I got mine at the fabric stores at chinatown - they are on the 2nd floor above the hawker centre next to OG.