7.25.2007

I can be productive if I want to....

5 new samples in the making! Yay!!!

These are for the Christmas/year end collection - whoo hoo!

The more I make, the more excited I get - once the fabric and notion shopping is done, I am full of anticipation at how each sample will turn out. I'm so very thankful that I have a seamstress who rarely lets me down!

There's more to come... I spent almost one full day last week reorganising my design and costing sheets - these basically show the details of each design, plus all the expenses that go into the production. All the nitty gritty details are in here - how much fabric is used, the number of buttons, hooks, etc. All these are captured in minute detail (always a challenge for me to keep these updated!)

The previous one I was using, which I created when I was pretty new to all this was quite haphazard and full of (what I eventually found to be) useless bits of information. After doing several production rounds, I now have a better idea of what information I really need.

Spent the next couple days filling up these sheets with info from the newest lot of clothes, and organising all the fabric, buttons, trims and whatnots to be delivered to my seamstress. When I first started doing this, you wouldn't believe what a horribly messy process I had going. Because of all the bits and bobs that are involved where dressmaking is concerned, I would forget to bring some small little bit of thing to my seamstress, or I would forget to retain a swatch of lining that I had bought for a sample - so when the time came to buy for production, I would have forgotten the exact shade of lining I needed! I now realise that EVERYTHING must be noted down, because it will all come back and haunt you later!!!! I still have some way to go, but I must say I think I've improved a fair bit.

I should be receiving some new stocks soon (the dresses are just waiting for buttons to be sewn on), and I will start taking photos. Thinking of trying some outdoor shots with me mannequin!

I know I keep posting about it, but I just can't help it - can you tell how excited I am about making all these clothes? I'm having so much fun here! A little short of photos these days, but maybe I'll be able to do a sneak peek soon, eh? Hopefully you guys out there like the dresses too :)

5 comments:

Alicia said...

Waiting is such torture, the suspense is killing me ...

@pple said...

i am looking for good homebased seamtress to alter my oversize dresses. do you have any recommend? thanks!

dot said...

Not a homebased seamstress, but good at alterations, try my friend Jaslyn. Her boutique is near City Hall.

Fashion Clinique,61 Stamford Court
#01-04

Opening Hours:
11am – 8pm (Mon – Fri)
11am – 6pm (Sat)
Closed on Sun and Public Holidays

@pple said...

is it very expensive? thanks for recommending!

dot said...

@pple, should be below $10 for the usual stuff - hemming etc, more if the alteration is complicated.