8.22.2006

The Happy Hooker

No, it's not what you think.

One of the craft books I picked up in the U.S. was The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller. She's also the author of Stitch' N Bitch, which I have, and Stitch 'N Bitch Nation (both on knitting)

Though I started off as a knitter, I never ever really developed a penchant for crochet. You would think that it's all the same, right? A ball of yarn and stick or two. Nope - for those of you who actually have read this book - I totally agree with what Debbie writes - that knitters and crocheters tend to eye each other with mutual crafty suspicion. Knitters are not expected to crochet, and vice versa. For my crafty sisters out there who have managed to achieve both - I salute you.

From what I remember when I was growing up, there was a decent number of 'western' craft books detailing with knitting, which I always found to be relatively user friendly. But I can't recall any for crochet. I did buy one book on crochet (I still have it, in fact) - it was a Japanese one - but it had a copious number of intricately detailed "pineapple" lace patterns. They looked like the white lacy stuff that my parents liked to place on our sofa and over the piano. My other memory of crochet was this purple and green bed cover that my grandmother made. It was enough to scare one startup crocheter off - I retreated to familiar knitting territory.

But I have to say, I was tempted to pick it up when I saw some very cute little bags and colourful flower pins and realised that they were all crocheted. So when I saw this book, with its bright and happy patterns and Debbie Stoller style (not to mention a pattern for flowers and birdie pins!) - I was convinced that it was a sign for me to try my hand at crochet again.

This Thursday, on my usual jaunt down to Chinatown, I'm going to hit Golden Dragon for some new yarn and crochet hooks. Wish me happy hooking - with the cute flowers, of course!

(image from Amazon)

No comments: