6.01.2006

Fabric Shopping Round 2

Round 2 at Arab St and Chinatown

Things went pretty smoothly at Arab Street - I found what I was looking for pretty easily, and all at decent prices. Then it started to rain. Luckily it wasn't very heavy and I had the car, AND I found parking along the street. Thank goodness.

It was messier at Chinatown, which is where I went to get my zips, thread, bias tape, etc etc. It was a struggle juggling bits of fabric and trying to find a colour match amongst the variety of thread, zip & bias colours. I needed another hand to cross out what I had bought from my list.

I ended up running between 3 buildings - the Chinatown fabric complex, Chinatown Complex and the Furama hotel annex (where I go for dressmaking lessons - I dropped by to ask my instructor where to get fabric covered buttons). Halfway across to the fabric complex, I realised that I had forgotten to draw cash from the POSB atm at Chinatown Complex. Had no choice but to go back because most of the fabric complex vendors do not take NETs or Credit card. Then I had to go back again (!) because I realised that the notions shop had forgotten to give me my bunch of zips! Urgh. Each time, I had to go up and down 3 flights of stairs. To top it off, the normally relatively quiet shops at the fabric complex were overrun by teenagers - I'm guessing it was the Urban article that came out today about shopping in Chinatown.

But despite all that, I'm really glad I found out about the zips - I rushed down today to make sure that I had all the materials so I could pass it to my seamstress tomorrow. I would have been really pissed off if I realised that they were missing after I got home!!! As I was walking to my car, I was like "Damn this is hard work!" My next thought was "But of course!" Whoever said running a business was easy. But I know it will all be worth it when I see my completed pieces!

No comments: